Thursday, May 15, 2008

LASIK

As Jesus was approaching Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the road begging. Now hearing a crowd going by, he began to inquire what this was. They told him that Jesus of Nazareth was passing by. And he called out, saying, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" Those who led the way were sternly telling him to be quiet; but he kept crying out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" And Jesus stopped and commanded that he be brought to Him; and when he came near, He questioned him, "What do you want Me to do for you?" And he said, "Lord, I want to regain my sight!" And Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has made you well." Immediately he regained his sight and began following Him, glorifying God; and when all the people saw it, they gave praise to God. - Luke 18:35-43, NASB
Well, I've had no miraculous healing, but I tell you what, LASIK is about as close as you can get. Friday almost two weeks ago I had LASIK surgery on both eyes. My eyes weren't horrible. I could function fine without contacts if I needed to, but I couldn't legally drive without them. I now see 20/15. It doesn't get much better than that!

The entire procedure took somewhere around 10 minutes for both eyes. It's a two-stage procedure. First they cut a flap in my cornea. I paid extra for them to cut the flap with a laser instead of a blade. Second, they peel the flap back, and a second laser adjusted my vision. From my perspective, it seemed just like I was lying there watching a blinking red light. And I could see my vision changing as it worked. Finally, they put the flap back in place, and I could see. Simple as that. Each stage for each eye took 20 seconds. Incredible!

When we got through, all I could think about was that I wanted to take a nap. Katie drove me home and I went straight to sleep. When I woke up, there was no pain, no drowsiness, no anything. I felt 100%. And I could see 20/15. They made me wear goggles for 24 hours, and then every night for 10 nights, so that I wouldn't accidentally rub my eyes. And I'm just now getting to the end of the medicated eye drops that are supposed to aid the healing process.

Is that a miracle? Well, not in the same sense as what Jesus did in Jericho. Still, I attribute it to God and His power. In this case, God worked through a long history of inventors, scientists, and doctors to develop the technology, and then He worked through the doctor that did the surgery. And He has been working through my body in the healing process. God is at work, every day. Perhaps we should restore our sense of awe at what He does, especially through us humans.
Immediately he regained his sight and began following Him, glorifying God; and when all the people saw it, they gave praise to God.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Congrats on the new niece. When will you get to see her?
And glad the LASIK went well! :)
Nicole

Jason said...

don't we get a baby update some time soon??? :)